Resources for becoming a librarian
This came in by email with the subject heading "Latinos in Libraries". It may not be what others would consider a "reference" question, but I get these queries since I have made an effort to recruit people of color into the library profession.
--------
Q:
I read your article online about recruiting Latinos to become librarians. I was especially drawn to your name since my two passions are libraries and anthropology. I am a Latina from inner-city Chicago and ever since I received my B.A. in Latino Studies (first person beyond 6th grade in my family), and having worked in public libraries extensively, I've been interested in becoming a librarian.
Well, I don't want to take more of your time than I need to. Seeing that you have already established yourself in the field, I was wondering if you could send a few resources my way. I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thank you in advance,
---
Yes, I'd be happy to help you. Where are you living right now -- are you still in Chicago? --and would you be willing to move for library school or do you need to find program closer to home/
Have you checked out Reforma? http://www.reforma.org/
There's a lot of good info at
http://www.ala.org/ala/diversity/spectrum/spectrum.htm and http://www.ala.org/ala/diversity/studentresources/studentresources.htm
There are two library schools in Illinois:
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, URBANA-CHAMPAIGN http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/
DOMINICAN UNIVERSITY
http://www.gslis.dom.edu
If you are interested in moving to the Northeast There's a great program in Rhode island:
UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND
W. Michael Havener, Director
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/lsc/
They have a program called Prism Plus Fellowship See http://www.uri.edu/artsci/lsc/web/News/news.htm#prismplus
Also would you want me to forward your email to librarians in Chicago? Let me know.
Good luck and let me know if there is anything else that you would like to know.
Sincerely, Isabel
-----------------------------------------------
Isabel Espinal
Email: iespinal@library.umass.edu
Web page: http://people.umass.edu/iespinal
-----------------------------------------------
Wow, than you so much for the info. This will give me something to work with for a while.
Yes, I am still in Chicago, and hope to study and make a career here, although I am still open-minded about any options.
It would be great if you can forward my email to librarians here in Chicago.
Again, thank you so very much!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home