24/7 question about articles in El Pais and other Spanish newspapers
From our 24/7 chat service:
Visitor: How do I search for old articles in Spanish periodicals when the periodical's website doesn't come up with the articles?
A librarian will be with you shortly, please hold.
[Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst - A librarian has joined the session]
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: Hello. I'm a reference librarian at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I am reading your question...
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: You will have to use an index. Depening on the periodical and type of information you are looking for , the index may or may not be online...
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: What are you looking for or researching?
Visitor: I am looking for information on a Spanish priest between the years 1970-1985. I have the names of the periodicals and the exact dates of the news articles.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: OK, then you need to see if Boston College has these in the collection. And if not, you can order the articles through Interlibrary Loan. I'll walk you through this if you give me the title of one of them.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: http://www.bc.edu/libraries/
Visitor: BC doesn't have the periodicals and I don't have the titles of the articles. Can I still get them through ILL without the titles?
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: oh I see. Well if you hae the exct page numbers and can give detials about the content of the articles, then it may not be a problem...
Visitor: No, I don't have page numbers. I only have the name of the periodical, the date, and the name of the priest in question, Jose Ignacio Gonzalez-Faus, SJ.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: Waht are the periodical names?
Visitor: Ya, El Pais, and ?Que Pasa?
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: hold on, I will see if I can find you an index or databses. Can you hold on?
Visitor: Yes, thanks.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: I was looking at the list of databases for Spanish http://www.bc.edu/libraries/research/guides/s-spanamlit/#index and didn;t see anything online (maybe I missed something?). Let me look in the catalog for a possible print index...
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: i'm still looking...
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: Hi. I just asked our librarian for SPanish and he says ther is no index to htese newspapers. I guess go ahead witht he info you have or..
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: you can contact a library in Spain. I can look for that...
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: If you know Spanish, you can try the Ask a Librarin service at this univeristy:
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: http://www.ucm.es/BUCM/201001.htm
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: http://www.ucm.es/BUCM/201001.htm
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: But really, I think the Itnerlibrary Loan at Boston College might be able to get you the articles with what you have already.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: Are you all set? Anything else I can do?
Visitor: I am fluent in Spanish. That is a great idea. Thanks. Otherwise I'll try visiting the ILL office at BC (my lifesaver so far) and see how they would go about it. Maybe they can get the entire issue of the paper photocopied. I think Princeton U. has an excellent Latin American and Spanish collection.
Visitor: Many thanks for your help Rosario. Good bye.
Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst: Good bye and good luck.
[Visitor - has disconnected]
Note to staff: COMP
[Rosario-BLC-UMass/Amherst - user has closed this session]


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home